24th June 2023
Changes since 2.1 :
Arculator 2.2 released.
- New podules: Acorn AEH50 Ethernet II, Acorn AEH54 Ethernet III, Acorn AKA32 SCSI Podule, Design IT Ethernet 200 Morley A3000 User and Analogue Port, Risc Developments High Density Floppy Controller
- Support for HFE v3 and SCP disc images
- Integrated debugger
5th September 2021
Changes since 2.0 :
Arculator 2.1 released.
- New podules : Acorn AKA05 ROM Podule, Acorn AKA10 IO Podule (w/AKA15 MIDI Upgrade), Acorn AKA16 MIDI Podule, Aleph One 386PC/486PC Podule, Computer Concepts ColourCard, State Machine G16 Graphics Accelerator, Oak 16 Bit SCSI Interface
- Minipodule support for A30x0/A4000. Currently included : Acorn AKA12 MIDI/IO Podule, ICS A3INv5 IDE Interface, ZIDEFS IDE Interface
- Added A4 laptop emulation
- Added A500 prototype emulation
- Added HFE disc image support (read/write)
- Fixed MEMC1 timing
9th November 2019
Changes since 0.99 :
Arculator 2.0 released.
- FPA10 emulation
- Podule emulation. Current included podules : AKA31 SCSI Podule, AKD52 Hard Disc Podule, Computer Concepts Lark, HCCS Ultimate CD-ROM, ICS ideA, RISC Developments IDE Podule, Wild Vision MIDI Max, ZIDEFS
- Much better CPU/memory timing. Now emulates ARM3 cache and MEMC1/MEMC1a timings
- Added emulation of GamesPad, RTFM and Serial Port/Vertical Twist joysticks
- Improved sound filter emulation
- Re-implemented FDI support
- Added HostFS (ported from RPCemu)
- Disc drive noise
- Linux port
- Numerous bug fixes
- Many other changes
26th May 2010
All RPCemu development has moved to http://www.marutan.net/rpcemuspoon/. This is because the only branch still doing anything is the one with the silly name.
15th August 2009
Changes since 0.9/0.9a :
Arculator 0.99 released.
- ICS IDE interface emulated, when new FDC is not in use
- Improved IOC mapping, improvements on !PCem, NetBSD etc
- ArculFS now read/write, and now ROM based
- Sound improved a little
- Can now disable all video borders
- SWPB now works, also corrected SWP and MUL encoding - Fire & Ice now works
- Return of FDI support
- ADP protected disc image support
- FDC improvements
- High-res mono monitor emulation (1152x896)
- A3010 joystick emulation
23rd March 2008
I've added a donation link on the left, explanations as to why are on the relevant page.
16th June 2007
Changes since 0.6 :
RPCemu 0.7 released.
- New dynamic recompiler CPU core - between 2 and 4 times the speed of the interpreter, depending on machine, applications etc
- RISC OS 4 now works properly with lazy task swapping on recompiler
- CD-ROM support. .ISO images on all platforms, direct drive access on Windows and Linux
- Now supports hard disc images above 2gb - the new limit is 32gb
- New DOS port
- Now compiles and (mostly) works on big-endian machines (eg PowerPC Macintosh)
- Source code improved a bit
10th June 2007
Only change is that FDI support has been temporarily removed for licensing reasons.
Arculator 0.9a released.
6th February 2007
Changes since 0.8 :
Arculator 0.9 released.
- Fixed ARM bugs - Bug Hunter now works, Phaethon no longer crashes on level 3
- Fixed bug in 82c711 - Nebulus now works on new FDC
- Fixed timing in modes 48/49
- Various optimisations
- Can now emulate ARM3 at 33mhz
- Now emulates two hard discs
- Removed software scaling options - improvements to hardware scaling mean these are not necessary anymore
- Improved FDI support in new FDC - more games supported (eg Wolf 3d, SF3000 etc) with hard disc install
- Mouse & keyboard shouldn't lock up in some stuff anymore
- Some other fixes
26th December 2006
Changes since 0.51 :
RPCemu 0.6 released.
- Working StrongARM emulation
- Changed timing system, sound much more stable
- Moved blitting to seperate thread, big speed boost in some stuff on dual core/hyperthreading CPUs
- Optimisations to ARM + memory, speed boost between 10% and 25%
- Fixed abort handling and MSR/MRS in 26-bit modes, more stuff now works, eg Ankh, Blu, Era, Reactivity, RISC OS 6
- Changes to MMU permissions, ArmLinux now starts (but doesn't run yet)
- Crash bug fixed in 32-bit colour
- Can now alter video refresh rate from the default of 60hz
- Better mouse support in Linux
- Early GUI in Linux
- Linux port now works on x86-64
- Fullscreen mode (Windows only)
23rd October 2006
Changes since 0.7 :
Arculator 0.8 released.
- Improved timing. Each model now performs much closer to the original machines (this means slower than previous versions)
- Can now emulate MEMC page sizes other than 32k, so all memory configurations from 512k to 16 megs are now possible
- Preliminary FDI support in 82c711 FDC
- Better FDI support in WD1772 FDC
- Fast disc emulation in 82c711 FDC
- Bugfixes to video code. Man United Europe now looks better. Less flicker in Populous, Zarch etc
- Keyboard/mouse fix, now doesn't freeze in Lemmings 2 and some other games
- Fixed broken sound in Sensible Soccer and Xenon 2
- Sound now in stereo
- Some minor optimisations
- Seperate ROM + CMOS files for Arthur, RISC OS 2, RISC OS 3 (old FDC) and RISC OS 3 (new FDC)
- Tracked WD1772 hanging bug down to an incorrectly set CMOS bit! Now fixed
17th July 2006
Just a quick release to fix some palette corruption issues.
RPCemu 0.51 released.
28th June 2006
Uploaded a new archive for RPCemu 0.5 - the Windows build now works on non-AMD processors.
27th June 2006
Changes since 0.4 :
RPCemu 0.5 released.
- Optimised flag emulation, outer loop, pipeline refilling - 30% speed increase
- Couple of new instructions - latest Artworks Viewer now runs
- Bugfix in IOMD timers - !ArcQuake and !SICK now work
- Bugfix in MMU - large memory configurations work with all OSes now
- Bugfix in dirty buffering - no more display artifacts
- Windows interface slightly better
- Added workaround for blitting issues on some graphics cards
- Preliminary sound emulation (Windows 9x only)
9th May 2006
Changes since 0.6 :
Arculator 0.7 released.
- Improved video code - display always centred correctly, multisync mode support (eg 640x480, 640x512 and 800x600), borders always drawn correctly (eg Zelanites)
- Fixed bug with LDMxx!, !NewLook now works, Arthur desktop now works
- Fixed bug in WD1772 FDC, disc writing now works again
- Some improvements to ArculFS
28th April 2006
Changes since 0.5 :
Arculator 0.6 released.
- Improved FDI support - many more games work
- Improved video routines - new hardware scaling option, faster! Also more video modes implemented
- ArculFS - read files from the Windows file system (read-only at the moment)
- Can emulate ARM250
27th March 2006
Changes since 0.3 :
RPCemu 0.4 released.
- Fixed stupid bug with flyback bit in IOMD control register - RiscOS 3.x nowstarts up correctly every single time (why did XXXX X work?)
- Rewritten video emulation - now supports 16-bit & 32-bit colour, has correctly
coloured cursor, some video acceleration, etc.
- HostFS - allows access of the Windows filesystem from RISC OS
- Now supports 2 hard discs
- Now supports >16 megs RAM, and VRAM
- Now licensed under the GPL
- Preliminary Linux port, thanks to Peter Naulls
23rd January 2006
Changes since 0.4 :
Arculator 0.5 released.
- Working 82c711 emulation. This allows high density disc access and avoids the hanging bug in 1772 emulation
- Along with 82c711 emulation comes IDE hard disc emulation
- Preliminary FDI support (1772 only)
- Increased frequency of keyboard/mouse updates - mouse now much smoother
- Slight optimisations to video
11th January 2006
Changes since 0.2 :
RPCemu 0.3 released.
- Fixed up various 32-bit problems in the ARM core, XXXX XX X now works
- IDE hard disc emulation
- Fixed bugs in floppy emulation
- Added emulation of ARM610 and ARM710
- Low video resolutions (eg 320x480) now supported better
- Faked sound interrupts (not enough for !Replay, but enough to fool Dune II)
4th January 2006
Changes since 0.1 :
RPCemu 0.2 released.
- Ignored all unimplemented memory accesses, including Econet - RiscOS 3.7 now works
- 70% speed increase
- CMOS now actually saves
- Cursor now correct colours
- Less restrictive ROM loading
26th December 2005
RPCemu 0.1 released.
An early release, but a lot of software works already.
14th November 2005
New WIP page - for showing off new developments
12th October 2005
Changes since 0.35 :
Arculator 0.4 released.
- Delayed IRQ by one instruction - Lemmings 2 now has sound.
- Fast disc access.
- Can disable scanline effect.
5th October 2005
Changes since 0.3 :
Arculator 0.35 released.
- Fixed reading of R15 in some instructions - Nebulus now works.
- Sound improved a bit.
- Fixed RSC instruction (don't think it affects anything though).
- Altered ARM timing.
- Beginnings of new-style Arc emulation (HD floppies + IDE hard discs in theory, not working yet though).
- Palette splits slightly more stable (Lotus 2).
22nd August 2005
Changes since 0.25 :
Arculator 0.3 released.
- Much improved sound (filter still a bit off though).
- Slight ARM optimisations - 10% speedup.
- Bug fixes to VIDC and IOC - TCD Powerscroll and ARMageddon Megademo 3 now work.
- Emulated prefetch - Elite now works (stupid protection).
- Fixed stupid video mode 0 bug.
- Replaced mouse hack with mouse capture technique.
22nd July 2005
Changes since 0.2 :
Arculator 0.25 released.
- Disc emulation improved - can now access 720k DOS disc images, write to discs, and up to 4 drives now supported.
- Arculator will now try to load a 2 meg file called 'rom.rom' before trying ic24-ic27.rom. This allows use of one-file ROM dumps, and Arthur, RiscOS 2 and ARM Linux ROM dumps (none of which really work, but never mind).
- Slight changes to video emulation, Zelanites demo now looks okay.
- Slight ARM optimisations.
I'm on the lookout for documentation on the ST-506 controller (HD63463) and/or the A540 SCSI controller. If anyone has documentation on these chips then please email me.
28th June 2005
Changes since 0.1 :
Arculator 0.2 released.
- Added support for dual/quad MEMCs (8 and 16 megs of RAM).
- ARM3 emulation.
- ARM & video optimisations - 25% speed boost.
- Rewritten video emulation - support midscreen palette/mode changes, correct cursor in 256 colour modes, better scrolling in hardware scrolling games, etc.
- Reduced sound lag and improved sound overall.
- Added fullscreen mode.
22nd May 2005
Changes since 0.09 :
Arculator 0.1 released.
- Couple of CPU bugs fixed - Disc access now okay (hack no longer required), many more programs/games run.
- Hack to work around other CPU bug.
- Better video emulation - more modes, scrolling in James Pond and Chuck Rock, correct scrolling in supervisor.
- New attempt at sound (quite poor).
- Better mouse emulation.